Ellicott City Homicide Attorney
Defending Clients Charged with Murder & Manslaughter in Maryland
If you or a loved one has been charged with murder or manslaughter, you need an attorney with the right experience to build a strong defense. At Robert N. Keehner, Attorney at Law, our Ellicott City homicide lawyer has more than 35 years of experience, both as a Maryland criminal defense attorney and a former prosecutor on the felony team.
Homicide Law in Maryland
Under Maryland law, the crime of murder is classified in three different levels, depending on the circumstances of the case. All homicide charges are extremely serious, and a conviction can result in many years in prison and devastating consequences on your life. You should not hesitate to contact a skilled criminal defense attorney with experience defending clients in murder and manslaughter cases.
Murder charges and penalties in Maryland include:
- Murder in the First Degree – Punishable by life in prison or life in prison without the possibility of parole
- Murder in the Second Degree – Up to 30 years in prison
- Voluntary Manslaughter – Up to 10 years in prison
- Involuntary Manslaughter – Up to 2 years in prison and fines up to $500
- Negligence Manslaughter – Manslaughter by vehicle can carry penalties of up to 10 years in prison and criminally negligent manslaughter by vehicle is punishable by up to 3 years in jail
Other than criminally negligent manslaughter by vehicle, which is a misdemeanor, all other murder and manslaughter charges are felonies. In addition to the criminal penalties, you will have a felony criminal record that will follow you for the rest of your life. Due to the extremely serious nature of these charges, it is important to contact a qualified defense attorney as soon as you are arrested or learn you are being investigated.
Start Building Your Defense, Hire Our Ellicott City Homicide Attorney
The possible defense strategies depend on the circumstances of your case. Our Ellicott City homicide attorney will evaluate your case and the evidence against you, explore possible defense strategies, and develop the most effective defense for your situation. Attorney Keehner takes the time to get to know you, so he can prepare your case and tell your story effectively in court.