DUI/DWI Lawyer in Ellicott City
Decades of Experience in Defense & Prosecution in Maryland
Have you been charged with DUI or DWI in Maryland? You need a qualified defense attorney to help you fight the charges, protect your rights, and preserve your driving privileges.
DUI & DWI Charges in Maryland
Many people are unaware that DUI and DWI are actually two different charges with different penalties for conviction. Driving While Impaired (DWI) is a less serious offense than driving under the influence (DUI) in Maryland.
You may be charged with DWI even if you pass a breathalyzer test, but law enforcement officers believe you exhibited signs of intoxication while driving or during roadside sobriety tests.
If you have been charged with a DUI in MAryland, you could face the following penalties:
- First Offense - Up to one year in jail and/or fines up to $1,000
- Second Offense - Up to two years in jail and/or fines up to $2,000
- Third Offense - Up to three years in jail and/or fines up to $3,000
Crafting a Unique Defense for Each Case
Although the charges and penalties are different, you may be facing driver’s license suspension even if your blood alcohol content was not found to be above the legal limit. Loss of your driver’s license can have a serious impact on your ability to get to work or fulfill family responsibilities. Prosecutors pursue these cases vigorously, so it is important to have an experienced DUI & DWI defense attorney on your side.
Our Ellicott City DUI/DWI lawyer will comb through your situation to look for flaws, such as:
- The reason you were stopped
- Police mistakes in procedure
- Questionable field sobriety test reports
- Problems with the BAC testing
- Whether or not officers advise you of your rights
- If you were on prescription drugs or have a medical condition
The penalties for drunk driving vary widely, depending on the situation. A first offense may result in probation, while a more serious offender may be facing serious criminal charges and penalties. Our Ellicott City DUI/DWI lawyer always provides an honest evaluation of each case, takes the time to listen to you, and explain the process and potential results.